Is Neo-feudalism here?

In 2020, I wrote about Universal Basic Income. At that time, the idea of a dystopian future where people are no longer working and are just receiving a paltry sum of money for survival from the government was a conspiracy theory. Today, it is slowly taking shape with the advent of digital payments, and a government super app.

When I wrote that article, artificial intelligence was an infant. Just two years later, some people claim that it has reached sentience.

The idea of receiving digital money as government aid (or regular ration) through a government super app is very dystopian. I mean can you imagine the amount of control they will have on our lives? Don't get me wrong, there has already been a lot of civil liberties lost throughout time but this is on a whole new level.

I remember watching a video about how CBDC can also be good. Since it's programmable money, you can basically stop funding for terrorism or illegal drug purchases.

So yeah, maybe a world where big brother is always watching and money is no longer something that you save but will be forced to use (through negative interest rates) can be a good scenario. Property ownership will also probably become obsolete in that world because everything will be tokenized so maybe that will pave way for more equality (neo-feudalism?) and less competition for resources. 

I guess with all these new technologies arising, everything is about intention. Take AI for example, a lot of people are saying that it's bad but I am actually having a totally different experience when it comes to AI. And I think a lot of people are as well although they probably are ashamed to admit it.

The important thing is awareness. I think that as more and more people talk about the dangers of a programmable token money, the powers that be will think twice about weaponizing it.

Comments

Popular Posts