A Love Affair With The Government Under Quarantine


Here's something I did not expect from this whole thing: feeling loved by the government. Whenever I hear the megaphone crackling outside of the house I would rush to the gate with a goofy grin on my face. During the next few minutes, I would not be able to wipe the smile off my face and I would feel so giddy. Yes, such is the effect of the rice and sardines (and sometimes vegetables) from the government on me. Is this how it feels like to be in love?

One of the batches of relief from the government included a few kilos of frozen chicken which I made into Chicken Adobo.

Relief Gulay (onions, squash, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, aubergines, and okras)

The other day, I went to the talipapa and found it closed. The store next to it only had pork. Since everything is now being ordered online and delivered, I tried researching on chicken prices online. What I found was very revealing. While a kilogram of chicken is usually sold at 180 pesos, you can buy it online for as low as 100 pesos. No wonder the wet market no longer sells chicken! Unfortunately, the cheaper ones were far away from me and adding up the delivery fee will already make the chicken expensive. I finally found MNL Chicken Depot which is in the same city where I live and perhaps because it is near to me, does not charge too much for delivery.

During the past month, I knew things were bad because some of the people who delivered the stuff I bought online were teenagers and even a pregnant lady. But I think things are getting worse because the guy who delivered my chicken looked quite prosperous.

A few days after the government further eased the quarantine measures in place, it still does not feel like the “old normal” has returned. I think most people would prefer to hanker down instead of dealing with long lines and having to put on a face mask.

Robinson's Galleria last May 27, two weeks after the government partially reopened the economy. A V-shaped economic recovery does not seem to be on the horizon.

While foreign funds have started to flow back into the Philippine stock market I'm not yet a buyer at this point. Let's see if we do not revert to extreme quarantine measures after two or three weeks of relaxed quarantine measures.

Apart from cutting my own hair, here's another thing I have been forced to do by myself during this whole ordeal: cutting up chickens! When I opened up the plastic bag from MNL Chicken Depot, I was not expecting to see two whole chickens staring at me.


Definitely not a pretty sight.

Finally, I'd like to share photos of stuff that I've cooked while under quarantine.


Ginataang Isda 
It was very expensive fish. :(

Bicol Express with Okra and Green Beans

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Register to DITO Promos Thru Text

14 Call Center Interview Questions & Answers

Zamboanga Hermosa song lyrics