How to Say Yes in Different Philippine Languages

I was in Pampanga the other day and heard somebody say Wa repeatedly. Since I recognized his body language, I knew that he was saying yes multiple times in Kapampangan. As there are so many Philippine languages, this made me wonder about the ways that we say yes in the various Philippine languages. 

Kapampangan- Wa
Pangasinense- On
Cebuano- O, Oo
Ilonggo- Hu-o
Chabacano- Si, Ho-o, oo, o-on, mm-mm, hmm-mm
Ilokano- Wen
Tagalog- Opo, Oho, Oo
Waray- Uu

As you can see, I was able to list a lot of 'yes words' for Chabacano as this is my mother tongue. I think that it is truly amazing that we have all of these different ways to say yes even though we live so close to each other. It can be observed though that these words are similar to each other in one way or another.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to Register to DITO Promos Thru Text

Zamboanga Hermosa song lyrics

Cuando by Comic Relief song lyrics