Turning Canned Coconut Cream or Gata into Oil

I'm not sure if there is a proper term in Tagalog for this state of coconut cream but one of the popular brands of coconut cream in a pouch claims this: “nagmamantika” when cooked.

What I did not know and what they don't tell you is that there is an additional process to turning coconut cream or gata into oil.

I accidentally found out the secret to this when I watched a video that was not at all related to cooking but where the vlogger said that he asked his mom how to turn canned coconut cream into oil and apparently, the secret is not stirring the coconut cream and boiling it until it turns into oil.

This reminded me of another cooking trick that I learned as an adult here in Manila. At home, vinegar in Adobo is just for flavor but when you search for Adobo recipes online, they use copious amounts of vinegar. What they don't tell you in these recipes is that you are not supposed to stir the adobo upon adding the vinegar. You have to boil it until it is cooked.

Apparently, the same is true for coconut cream or gata. I imagine this is the same even for fresh gata.

I think in the past, I was able to achieve this state of coconut cream in my cooking but only by accident. I thought at first that the quality of the canned coconut cream or the added chemicals were the culprit but all this time, it turns out that I just wasn't doing it right.

This is the dish that I experimented on using this process. It is unripe jackfruit with coconut cream, chilis, garlic, ginger, pork powder, and shrimp broth.


This is the brand of coconut cream that I used. It will be interesting to replicate this experiment using other brands of coconut cream.


As you can see in the first photo the 200ml of coconut cream yielded very little fat. This is because it is only 7% fat. Perhaps using fresh coconut cream or gata would be more cost effective if you wanted "nagmamantikang gata".


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Register to DITO Promos Thru Text

Cuando by Comic Relief song lyrics

Zamboanga Hermosa song lyrics