Invisible

Last night, my best friend told me that his brother had a dream about me. In this dream, I was invisible but my best friend kept on insisting to his brother that I was there. Finally, my best friend's brother asked my best friend to tell me to move something in the house to prove that I was there. He was very surprised when I did.

What was weird about all this is that I have never met my best friend's brother before.

Do you ever feel invisible? Too many people in this world feel like they are invisible. They think that their lives don't matter.

More often than not, this leads us to think that we have to become a world leader or a great innovator like Steve Jobs to not be invisible. However, in classical works such as the book of Ecclesiastes, the wise author proclaims that all things in this world are vanities. Legacies are vanities. Wisdom and wealth are vanities. Because, dear friends, as powerful as they might seem to us today, all the celebrities, politicians, and billionaires that you admire will one day die too. In other words, both the rich and poor, wise and fool suffer the same fate.

Even Miriam Defensor Santiago, in one of her last televised interviews in CNN Philippines, acknowledge this. When asked what was the legacy she wanted to leave behind, she said that she doesn't believe in legacies because they are vanities. The only legacy she was concerned about was how people who she knew in this world would remember her. In the end, I think that's what really got to her. The idea that she could be so brilliant but so helpless in the face of death.

So maybe what we should all do is live life in a manner that is not self-serving. But when we do things for others, maybe we shouldn't really be thinking about a legacy for our posterity, that they might think that we are great. Rather, think of your legacy for today, one that touches your friends and family. It can be as simple as helping out a friend or calling a loved one.

Yes, dear friends. None of us in this world are invisible. We all matter. And we can all make things move.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Register to DITO Promos Thru Text

No te Vayas de Zamboanga Song Lyrics

14 Call Center Interview Questions & Answers